i.HUG

The International HUG Foundation was formed based on the realization that too many children in Uganda were needlessly slipping through the cracks. We can and are doing something to help them. This blog documents our becoming and the institution of ideas into practice.

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Lawyers in Midtown


A rollarcoaster of emotions. My grandfather fell very ill yesterday. None of the family wants us kids coming down to Florida, so I'm just sitting around and there's nothing I can do.

So I was actually glad that i.HUG had the lawyer's appointment today. It gave me the chance to focus a bit, and that was nice change of pace.

I remembered that I'm surrounded by tons of people, and their talent abounds. So I asked Michael, our treasurer, (pictured here with his girlfriend Carrie, also a volunteer, in my little NYC apt.) to come to the appointment with me--and he happened to be at a consulting gig across the street, so he was able to make it.

So, remember: this lawyer is my dad's employee's father's partner. (Can you follow?) Quite an amazing firm in a huge skyscraper off 42nd Street: they seem to only work with nonprofits and health organizations, so they really knew what they were talking about. Both he (the father) and his partner (the 501c3 expert) sat and talked with us about how we're organized. Post 9/11, it seems it's really difficult to set up overseas nonprofits without some really tight controls over and oversight into how that money is spent...crazy things like checking "watch lists" to make sure the people you're dealing with aren't terrorists. I'm all about not-a-penny wasted, but come on. Still, reassuring to have expert eyes on it.

Anywho. Even better than that, he agreed to look over the application once we re-jigger a few things. So here we go. Everybody, wish us luck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home