i.HUG

The International HUG Foundation was formed based on the realization that too many children in Uganda were needlessly slipping through the cracks. We can and are doing something to help them. This blog documents our becoming and the institution of ideas into practice.

Sunday, March 19, 2006

Co-founder Joanna Breitstein


Now, I had actually met Pastor Paddy back in 2001. I was working at a business healthcare magazine (where I still work today) and was also the webmaster. He e-mailed looking for AIDS information. I sent him some links, but also let him know about Pfizer's Diflucan program--where the company gave away free drugs that helped manage some nasty HIV-related illnesses. He hadn't heard of the program, but ended up taking some children there. And they got a bit better--that was a really wonderful.

We kept in touch. And a few years later, I applied for a Kaiser Foundation grant to go to Uganda. I had never applied to anything like that before. But guess what. I was one of 10 journalists in the world that won--and in October 2004 I took a flight to Uganda.

I got to meet Paddy, and eat with his family of a beautiful wife and nine adopted children each Sunday. And Paddy took me to visit the clinics. And he took me into the homes of AIDS patients. And I saw how children of not more than 7 were now mothers and fathers to their brothers and sisters.

But far most touching was attending the children's program on Saturday. Children who lived out on the street--or from home to home, or other situations--filed in a few at a time to spend few hours of song, football, or just being children. I was inspired that something like this meant so much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home