i.HUG

The International HUG Foundation was formed based on the realization that too many children in Uganda were needlessly slipping through the cracks. We can and are doing something to help them. This blog documents our becoming and the institution of ideas into practice.

Friday, October 13, 2006

one week in

So, it is a week now since I left the USA. It amazes me how the things that concern me and give me pleasure have changed so dramatically in the space of a week. I am getting used to evenings without any electricity and finally am able to find the space and time to read extensively. Strange that I had to come to Uganda before the space could be carved out for me to do one of the things I really enjoy!

I have spent much time with the children of i.HUG and other children from the community. Their humour, politeness and compassion is impressive. I am doing a lot of craft work with them and they are revelling in it. The standard of their work is much higher than I expected. We are making decorations for Christmas trees at the moment and then we will move on the greetings cards and finally paintings and pictures that speak of their own lives. (All these will be sold at the NOV 10 fundraiser at Cincinnati - Cincinnati people come with your pockets full of pennies to buy these wonderfully handcrafted items... do I make a salesperson yet?!)

I have also spent a lot of time with some of the woman who volunteer at the child life centre with the children. On the surface they are always laughing, smiling, joking but after some time when they feel safe to talk they open up and talk of the things that make them anxious - lack of food, no income to pay the rent, fearof eviction, no means to get educated, fear that their children will get sick or hungry or that they will not be able to find enough money to buy them shoes. It is very hard to know what to say after hearing these worries. They are very real and affect every aspect of their lives. I have learnt to hold my toungue and avoid 'fixing' everything for people, at the same time listening and choosing not to help in any way feels somewhat voyeuristic. I really believe that if i.HUG helps the parents and guardians of the children we school then the children will be biggest benefactors. We have a lot of work to do people. Keep busy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home