i.HUG

The International HUG Foundation was formed based on the realization that too many children in Uganda were needlessly slipping through the cracks. We can and are doing something to help them. This blog documents our becoming and the institution of ideas into practice.

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

In Kabalagala ... at last

After much thinking, planning and dreaming I am finally here in Kabalagala. I came loaded up with books, toys, craft items for the school and very few clothes. My bag was inspected on the US side - I wonder what they must have thought about me. Will this traveller wear just two shirts throughout her whole trip?

I arrived at Entebbe airport to be greeted by an all embracing hug from Paddy and Dennis. I was very happy to see them.

On saturday I went to see my friend, who is just 10 years old, hearing impaired (deaf to you and I) and in a boarding school. I was disappointed to find that the head teacher who was an amazing teacher to both hearing and hearing impaired students had left. My small friend was glad to see me and just kept looking at me for a long time with no attempt to communicate. The teacher told me she had a bad cough and boy was that an understatement. By Monday, she not only had a cough but a confirmed case of malaria, worm and a possible chest infection. So I have not taken her back to school but carefully plan our days so I can dish out the pills she has to take throughout the day. (more than 15 pils per day) She has been spending a lot of time at the child life network center and has been enjoying something of a celebrity because of her sigh language skills. It has really cheering to watch her teach other children how to sign. Their willingness to learn another language so that they might accomodate her is really inspiring. Time is up. More soon

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home