i.HUG

The International HUG Foundation was formed based on the realization that too many children in Uganda were needlessly slipping through the cracks. We can and are doing something to help them. This blog documents our becoming and the institution of ideas into practice.

Sunday, February 25, 2007

Culturally Relevant Tools



I remember the time Paddy e-mailed me some good news: an organization had donated dolls to children in Kabalagala and outlying villages. But the pictures of the distribution of these dolls told another story--the dolls were white. And to me, looking at those white dolls in a sea of black faces just felt violently wrong.

I know a few of our volunteers felt the same way. So although black dolls are hard to find (donated black dolls, I should say), Jane did a great job of doing so. And when I saw this photo of our project, I felt a little surge of pride. We may be grassroots, but we can provide the toys and tools to our children to make them proud of their heritage.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home