i.HUG

The International HUG Foundation was formed based on the realization that too many children in Uganda were needlessly slipping through the cracks. We can and are doing something to help them. This blog documents our becoming and the institution of ideas into practice.

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Skipping ropes and plastic bags

In our bid to save the planet and save money and do a lot of skipping, we at Kabalagala Community Academy have been very industrious. I had put 3 bins in the playground for the children - one for compost, one for paper and one for plastics. However, the bin for plastics was giving me a headache - what to do with all the plastic bags?

A friend of mine works for an indigenous NGO that works to educate Ugandans about the environment - he suggested making skipping ropes from plastic bags and balls too. Phoebe, our cook mocked me but on seeing me make poor skipping ropes she took over the mission and made a skipping rope that made me feel like opening up a skipping rope factory. Then Jane my 10 year old friend got in on the act. She decided to make a really long skipping rope so that all the children in the school can jump at the same time. She has been at it for 2 hours now and shows no signs of weakening. She even refused to come to town with me and eat chicken because completing her giant skipping rope is currently her number one priority.

I am so excited about the skipping ropes. We will have a go at making balls tomorrow. It is small but it feels very significant.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home